LOCATION: San Francisco or East Bay Territory. REPORTS TO: Director of Sales
DEPARTMENT: Sales LAST REVISED: February 2016
Established in 1973, Greenleaf is the Bay Area's leading produce and specialty food distributor, serving over 1000 of the greater SF Bay Area's finest restaurants, hotels, caterers and retailers. GreenLeaf partners with our customers to provide products to fill their plates and solutions for their business objectives.
SUMMARY: The Outside Sales Representative is responsible for coordinating and executing the sales within their territory with the goal of increasing market share and providing Account Management and sales support in their territory. The Sales Representative sells products for distribution to restaurants and caterers, hotels and retail, establishments or individuals at places of business with key performance indicators that result in the successful execution of their sales goals.
Purpose: The purpose of this position is to build market share of Greenleaf products within a territory through selling into various market segments. The Sales Representative will deliver impeccable service to new and existing customers through territory and account management, developing new sales opportunities, and drive overall sales within a given region. The Sales Representative is responsible for generating leads and providing accurate, up to date forecasting of territory sales. The Sales Representative will work with Operations and Purchasing to conducting pricing and competitive analysis, and ensuring customer compliance. This will be accomplished through account management presentations and solution selling, which leads to closed sales to target customers within the territory. This position acts as a direct voice to our customers.
Key Performance Indicators The following competencies are the focus of the Outside Sales Representative annual performance evaluation:
• New Business: Responsible for growing territory by 1 million of new business.
• Existing Business Retention: Working with the Account Management team, increase existing business sales by 20% and increase retention by 10%.
• Profitability: Through cross departmental collaboration, execute sales strategies through profitability analysis and identify levers to create a win-win for customers and Greenleaf.
• Inventory Knowledge: Quickly learns products, service levels and quality standards and 600+ product items to support solution selling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on food trends in the Bay Area.
• Maintains assigned Accounts and generates new sales within those Accounts.
• Perform customer needs analysis, develop solutions, discuss product offerings, create proposals, and negotiate with customers.
• Sell company authorized products in required volumes to meet or exceed sales goals.
• Participate in product and sales related training.
• Keep current on product knowledge and selling process.
• Produce accurate and timely forecasts as required by management.
• Attend Territory events to build relationships within the Bay Area food scene.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Minimum of 3 years sales experience in produce or other food products in the Food Service or retail market place.
• Proven track record of generating leads, closing business and meeting challenging objectives consistently.
• Creative and results oriented person.
• Valid California Drivers License
• Driving record must meet company standards
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: BS, BA or evidence of equivalent satisfactory experience and 3 years progressively more responsible experience in exempt level.
FOOD SAFETY TRAINING REQUIRED: Mock Recalls, HACCP Program, Food Defense, Crisis Training, GHP/GMP’s,
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, articles and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, staff, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and additions on invoices, expense reports etc. Ability to reconcile differences in data.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to solve problems and resolve conflicts that may arise
• Good planning, time management, and organizational skills
• Excellent sales presentation skills
• Computer applications (Word, Excel, Base, Produce Pro and Power Point)
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to think independently
• Ability to see the big picture
• Strategic thinker who embraces change and takes initiative
• Ethical with good judgment
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
EQUIPMENT/MACHINERY/TOOLS: Fax machine, copier, personal computer, telephone, calculator, Microsoft Word/Excel, and other software as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of day. Estimate 20% of time is spent on feet, 30% driving and visiting customers and 50% sitting at desk.
2. Have occasional need to perform the following physical activities: bend/stoop/squat, climb stairs, push or pull, reach above shoulders.
3. Have occasional need to perform standing and walking activities.
4. Constant need to perform the following physical activities: writing/typing, grasping/turning, finger dexterity.
5. Lifting/carrying over 10 pounds occasionally. Lifting/carrying less than 10 pounds frequently.
6. Vision requirements: constant need to complete forms, read reports, view computer screen. Frequent need to see small detail. Frequent need to see things clearly beyond arm's reach.
7. Hearing requirements: constant need to communicate over telephone and in person.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent need to utilize personal transportation to visit customers, and attend meetings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested candidates should apply with a cover letter and resume detailing your experience and interest in the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.