Established in 1973, Greenleaf is the Bay Area's leading produce and specialty food distributor, serving over 1000 of the greater SF Bay Area's finest restaurants, hotels, caterers and retailers. GreenLeaf partners with our customers to provide products to fill their plates and solutions for their business objectives.
As the Head of Sales, you will lead our sales and customer service organization and set our sales strategy, drive change across the organization and successfully deliver on the sales targets. You will be responsible for coordinating and directing all Sales and Customer Service functions by leading, training and directing a sales and customer service team with clear sales objectives who have ownership of sales territories. You will create a culture and environment that will lead to world class performance in the Bay Area food distribution industry. In addition, will lead by example by delivering new business that support the overall company goals.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional analytical and problem solving skills and be comfortable interacting with all levels, including Executive Management, Sales, Finance, and Sales Operations leaders and colleagues. You will partner with cross functional teams to ensure that key initiatives are implemented smoothly. The ideal candidate will be able to handle highly sensitive, confidential, and non-routine information supporting a rapidly changing organization. We're seeking a self-starter who can recognize where processes can be improved and who will take the initiative to improve them.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Drive accountability and a foundation for sustained and predictable growth across the Sales organization.
• Be the thought partner for sales leadership and company leadership to measure the effectiveness of sales and customer service.
• Perform customer needs analysis, develop solutions, discuss product offerings, create proposals, and negotiate with customers.
• Insure Greenleaf and customer relationships and overall company objectives are being maintained and achieved.
• Leverage current client relationships to further expand business development opportunities in all segments.
• Responsible for developing new opportunities with potential business segments and conducting sales presentations.
• Maintains a current knowledge of industry trends, opportunities, channels, products, and competitors to support the identification of business development opportunities
• Partners closely with cross-functional teams to shape and guide the implementation of strategic goals across the company.
• Drive high priority initiatives including (but not limited to) expanding the product line, customer retention, customer profitability, territory optimization, sales incentive design, process optimization, and forecast modeling.
• Provide leading indicators to company management to ensure strategies are on track.
• Build strong peer-level relationships with Greenleaf senior management
• Effectively lead, manage, train, and motivate the sales and customer service team ensuring optimal performance.
• Conducts meetings to ensure that employees are well informed of the direct of the sales programs, strategies, and procedures.
• Responsible for the performance on the sales and customer service team including writing and facilitating performance appraisals as assigned. Provides measurable feedback to the team and suggestions for improved performance. Formulates and implements employee corrective actions as needed.
• Leadership, energy, presence, passion, discipline and influencing skills
• 5-7 years of sales management experience with a proven track record of leading sales teams to meeting challenging objectives consistently.
• Detailed knowledge of the Bay Area food movement.
• Significant experience leading cross-functional projects with multiple stakeholders.
• Strong analytical skills and experience in developing and implementing strategies with clear business impact through a data driven approach
• Strong relationship-building skills and experience working closely with chefs, purchasing managers and contract negotiators.
• Proven ability to recruit, build, develop and coach high-performing teams
• Valid California Drivers license that meets company standards.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• 3-5 years of proven management experience.
FOOD SAFETY TRAINING REQUIRED: Mock Recalls, HACCP Program, Food Defense, Crisis Training, GHP/GMP’s,
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, articles and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, staff, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and additions on invoices, expense reports etc. Ability to reconcile differences in data.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to solve problems and resolve conflicts that may arise
• Good planning, time management, and organizational skills
• Excellent sales presentation skills
• Computer applications (Word, Excel, Base, Produce Pro and Power Point)
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to think independently
• Ability to see the big picture
• Strategic thinker who embraces change and takes initiative
• Ethical with good judgment
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of day. Estimate 20% of time is spent on feet, 30% driving and visiting customers and 50% sitting/standing at desk.
2. Have occasional need to perform the following physical activities: bend/stoop/squat, climb stairs, push or pull, reach above shoulders.
3. Have occasional need to perform standing and walking activities.
4. Constant need to perform the following physical activities: writing/typing, grasping/turning, finger dexterity.
5. Lifting/carrying over 10 pounds occasionally. Lifting/carrying less than 10 pounds frequently.
6. Vision requirements: constant need to complete forms, read reports, view computer screen. Frequent need to see small detail. Frequent need to see things clearly beyond arm's reach.
7. Hearing requirements: constant need to communicate over telephone and in person.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent need to utilize personal transportation to visit customers, and attend meetings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.